Saturday 21 January 2012

Full of Rhetorical Questions...

So, on Thursday I decided to watch a film with some friends entitled "Never Let Me Go." I had been having a bad day and thought that a film with a suitably soppy title would cheer me up.

I was so wrong.

Never Let Me Go features several very talented actors - Keira Knightly, Andrew Garfield (from The Social Network), Carey Mulligan - but nonetheless, I did not feel that this was their best work to date. It was without a doubt the one of the most depressing films I have watched in a long time, but to be fair I don't think it would be different with different actors - they themselves were incredible. I'm not saying that the idea is good - the plot itself was very interesting, subtly asking question about cloning, about the human soul - but I wish that they could have given it a happy ending.
The film itself was well directed, and set in an alternate 20th century, where - hooray! - the cure for cancer and other deadly diseases has been found but involves "growing" people as clones who are literally only alive to act as donors to people. I won't tell anymore - but if you do want to watch it, have a large dose of reality straight afterwards.
Nonetheless, this brings me back to my second topic for the day - people who say they hate life when they really hate people. I'm not going to deny it, I do count myself as one of these people from time to time. But my friend went to me today, "Why do you say you love life if you always say you hate it?" It took me a while to think of a reply, which (I do say so myself) was pretty damn clever.
"I don't hate life, I just hate people who ruin it." And it's true. I do think that some people have such a pessimistic effect on life that it does begin to affect. Sure, sometimes these people can't help themselves, but other times they are just digging themselves a hole!
I won't name names, but I'm sorry for this being such a depressing post. However, I do have an announcement to make!
My big piece of news is that, well, I'm writing a book. I've written about half of it but it's taking a while. I might post some snippets up on here, so watch this space!
So, signing off now.


Bye.
Just as a side note, this is an indoor firework. Thought it pretty and meaningful, so....understand. Enjoy!

1 comment: