Tuesday 27 March 2012

Why Teenagers Act Their Age

Right, hello!
I'm firstly going to apologize for the radio silence these last couple of weeks, been quite hectic - but hey, it's Easter holidays soon, and I promise that I will be writing at least once a week, more if I can manage. That's not totally my fault though - I need stuff to write about! Email me your topics, or leave a comment below, but anything would be very handy!

However, IRL I have actually been having a very busy life! I had GCSE's, and Sport Relief, and people to see, and places to go...well, you get my drift. However all these things have actually been useful to my life, and some of them actually helped come up with the idea of this blog post.
I wonder, as I write, and possibly as you read, how many of you are a similar age to me - a teenager, that is. And I wonder then how many of you get bad press for being who you are, or how old you are or how you like to dress. I often find that these questions simply refuse to be answered - so today I am going to answer them myself.

Teenagers. It's in the name. TEEN-AGE-RS. We're supposed to act this way! We're supposed to have fun and screw up and make mistakes sometimes, because otherwise how can we learn to make our own way in life. It's all very well saying that parents are trying to stop you from making mistakes that you'll regret, but sorry - isn't that the point? Isn't that our decision to make? I'm not saying that all our decisions are right, or that our actions won't have consequences, but it's from our own lessons that we learn the error - or successes - of our ways, and there isn't a thing that could change that. I want to be happy in life. I would rather be happy than right, and that's the truth of the matter.

That being said, I do think it's a tad strange how teenagers have evolved throughout the generations. It used to be we'd go out to the park with a boy, hold hands, maybe go dancing or out to dinner on a Saturday night. From what I can tell, nowadays it's who can get off (or "snog") their boyfriend first, short dresses, parties, and getting drunk. Sorry for being so brutally honest, but I can't help but feel that this is currently how many people view us. Don't you think we should change that? I'm not saying cut the drink or the partying, that's your decision and I've just written a whole paragraph about that. I'm not saying become a complete introvert, and basically one of those people who will live sheltered until their late twenties - but enjoy life, don't forget it because you were too drunk to remember anything.

But perhaps I'm being too harsh. Teenagers have accomplished so much, and our generation will have both the most the prove, but also the most to offer. Who says that we will never amount to anything? Who says we'll all end up living in terrible accommodation, with little or no money? The people who think we can't succeed. Our generation will produce Presidents, royalty, Prime Ministers - people who WILL change the world. We are capable of everything and anything, and I don't think it's fair to expect us to fail instantaneously. Some teenagers have become world famous through the years - Justin Bieber, Charlie McDonnell, Alex Day, Greyson Chance, child actors, artists, dancers, singers - the list is endless. We cannot expect to have an easy life, I know that  - on the contrary, we'll be inheriting a troubled planet, with war and global warming and population increase and so much more. But it will be these same circumstances which will make us become the generation that people will remember. The generation that will change everything.




Wow.
I can't believe I just wrote that.
Crazy stuff, man.
Anyhoo, that's my post for the day, probably the rest of the week. I know this is a controversial post - believe me, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's school day - but I created this blog as a place for opinions to be heard and for a single teenage girl to finally be listened to.

Lots of love,
ScotsGirl x 

6 comments:

  1. zombiesarepeopletoo27 March 2012 at 19:50

    wow.just....wow. Best blogpost yet! so glad you didn't leave us :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG soooooo goood!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although slightly controversial, a humorous piece on the joys of teenagerhood....in other words, freaking brilliant! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously impressive, very moving - no, very inspiring! You go girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Seriously inspiring - might actually go and do some studying now...congrats on getting yourself another subscriber! :D i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post. I enjoyed it a lot. FINALLY someone is telling the truth about what they think our generation has come to. THANKYOU! I totally agree with you, ScotsGirl. I think that our generation is going downhill - all we ever seem to be interested in is TV, alcohol, partying and boys. I know it seems harsh, but from my view, at my school (I live in the USA) that's just the way it is. I'm going to print this out and show it to my teacher!

    ReplyDelete