Thursday 1 March 2012

Why Lent Can Be Dangerous

I bet you saw the title of this blogpost and thought, "Lent?  Dangerous?"
Well, in some cases, yes.

Lent, for those of you who don't know, is the period of 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Holy Thursday. This period comes from the Christian Bible, where Jesus Christ fasted for 40 days in the desert. Typically people also give something up for the 40 days (excluding Sundays) in memory of this.

However, this is not what I am here to talk to you about today. So, I present to you my personal list of funniest, craziest things to give up for Lent.

10) Breathing.
Believe it or not, this is actually something people intend to give up for Lent. Personally, I wish them the best of luck, and failing that a RIP.

9) Sleeping. 
Did you know in 2010 someone DIED from not sleeping? Yeah, there was a MMORG player from China, known only as Snowy, who died from exhaustion after just 3 days! Curiously enough, the MMORG game in question held a virtual service, in a virtual chapel, on a virtual island, in a virtual world. Seems like the internet does give back after all.

8) Eating.
Believe it or not, some hardcore people try and give up EATING ACTUAL FOOD! for Lent. May I just take this moment to tell you we can only survive 21 days without food? However, chocolate, snacking, and sweets can also be taken as baby steps towards the real deal.

7) Being Mean.
A friend of mine is doing this, and so far she's managed to stay straight, so well done D! However, if you want to make this a regular thing, Alex Day (www.youtube.com/nerimon) decided to try and break a habit, of whose example you can follow!  You do this by wearing a bracelet which you have to wear for 21 days (21 days is how long something takes to become a habit). Every time you say or do something you shouldn't, you have to swap the bracelet onto the other wrist and begin again. Take it from me, it's trickier than it looks.

6) Wearing Clothes.
Oh yes, you may laugh, but this is an actual Lent. Around 5000 people each year give up wearing certain garments, including shoes, hats, scarves, underwear (all sorts), and indeed, around 550 people actually become nudists for the entirety of Lent. So, if you have them living near you, lucky you!

5) Lent.
Oh, you clever people, you! Yes, some people decided to be smarty-pants and beat the system by giving up what they're supposed to give up for. Giving up Lent, for Lent, basically means you don't have to give anything up at all. So if you're one of those clever people reading this post, I salute you - I just wish I had had the same idea.

4) Religion.
This isn't exactly odd when you think about it, but I was researching this post (yes! I have to do research for you, dear reader!) and I came across several posts of people actually changing faiths. Catholics were becoming Protestants for the duration of Lents, others were becoming Buddhists - the Interweb can be so weird, honestly.

3) Technology.
This includes mobiles - bye bye BBM! - and the wonderful world that is TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Eastenders - the telly, basically. Personally, I'm not sure that losing TOWIE is such a bad thing - the show is terrible, and gives us English girls a bad name.

2) Friendship.
I did actually see this one post, where this girl decided ( I think it was a girl ) that she was going to become a hermit and not see any of her friends  for the entirety of Lent. Whether she has succeeded or not, I do not know. However, the idea of silence, or solitariness, is definitely one I will investigate.

1) The Internet.
Strangely, this is one of the hardest things to do. By no Internet, I mean no YouTube (sorry Charlieissocoollike), no Facebook, no Twitter, no Tumblr, no BBC, and worst of all, no blogging from yours truly! Which is a good reason why I shouldn't be doing that this Lent.

So, there you have it. ScotsGirl's top ten Crazy Things of Lent. I would just like to apologise for disappearing off the Internet recently, actually. Here in the UK we have these exams - not very important - called GCSE's, which basically determine what we can do later in life. So I kind of needed to study for them..

Oh, and THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU! Last weekend I hit 1000 views on this blog. No idea how that happened, but a MASSIVE thankyou to everyone. Just really made me happy.

Actually, I ended up doing the Conga round my living room in glee, but I won't go into that. But hey! Have fun in life!

Later's y'all,
ScotsGirl x




No comments:

Post a Comment