Sunday 11 March 2012

The Great Joys of English Weather

You might think, when you hear the word England, of croquet lawns, Mr Darcy, Colin Firth, BBC, and "good ol' London Town". You might think of a sunny countryside, or of dark, mysterious nights filled with fire, hoodies, and police. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However, I can safely say that as a British citizen, one thing that will always remain British is the constant change in the weather. I have known, in a single day, for it to rain, snow, hail, and finally give us some sunshine. Forgive me, but I do think that's a tad strange.

Another thing about British weather is its ability to render one completely and utterly incapable of going, or doing, anything outside one's house. The great snowfall of February 2012 - although shortlived, many people were stuck inside their own homes, almost completely unable to even step outside their front door to put the cat out. Indeed, snow is extreme in Britain. Here's an example from good old Scotland:


Of course, there's no denying that although extremely dangerous, snow is excellent fun. However, rain - well, just see for yourselves...



But perhaps I am not being totally fair on the great phenomonon that is British Weather. Here in the UK we have sun - for those readers who do not know, we're currently in the middle of a hosepipe ban, which means DROUGHT TIME! So happy that that happened...

However, it's not just the British Weather that people seem to find so interesting about England. I find it curious that so many people have so many different stereotypes about us. Here are a few quotes from people who were asked what they thought was the stereotypical image of England:

"That you drink a lot of tea, drink a lot of beer, get in huge hooligan fights, are calm under pressure. Oh almost forgot - you love to play football."
"Bad food, worse weather, dry, cold and calculating, good manners."
"The stereotype at the moment is pretty rough hooligan!, chav!"
"Witty, colorful, coarse, oblique way of speaking, sweater-wearing." (I'm from the US)
And of course, my personal favourite:
"You all drink tea and live in castles."


I'm afraid that's just the Queen who does that. However I am a big tea-drinker - I HATE coffee - I drink it every day, it's nice, it's BRITISH.....good grief, I am officially stereotyping myself right now.

I think that's it for today, bit of a ramble, sorry :)
If you want see more comments like the one above, dear reader, please click here!
Seeing you around the interweb,

ScotsGirl x 

2 comments:

  1. very funny, enoyed the purple comment! :D ......but where are you?? STOP THIS RADIO SILENCE :'( i enjoy reading your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ScotsGirl, where are you?! I enjoy waiting for new posts but this radio silence is KILLING ME...please hurry :'(

    ReplyDelete